Wednesday 24 June 2009

Lunch - 24th June 2009 - Onion Parathe

What?
Pranay Jain suggested I make Onion Parathey, so I thought I try it for lunch today. Anyhow, eating bread and boiled eggs is depressing (the low point of the day, so to speak), so I woke early to make this stuff. Packed some dry aloo ki subji along with it.

How did it look?


Improvements?
  • Onions were chopped slightly coarsely, so they were not belding well with the flour, and made the whole thing a bit wet, so I had to wrap in a lot of flour to hold the damn thing together.
  • I decided I was better of making thicker parathe and cooking them nicely with oil, so I ended up making a thinner version of what Maharashtrians call Thaalipeeth.
  • This is a nifty practice that I had observed at home, and managed to replicate with success. In order to ensure proper cooking of the thick paraatha, they make small holes throughout in which they put in some oil, so that it gets cooked uniformly and throughly. I tried to do it (I already had lots of holes because of using less flour) and it came out well.

This reminds me of a classmate of mine (Aditya Singh) back when I was in Class VI. Every day, he used to invariably get Onion Paraathey for lunch, and they were the best I have ever tasted. It was not uncommon for all of us to pounce on his tiffin and finish a big chunk of his lunch even before he could shout STOP!

3 comments:

  1. Cooking is a great experience and many times it brings sweet memories like the one you mentioned about your classmate. Parathes are looking nice crispy but unfortunately you dont like them this way. Any way, Good job done and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and when you cook you appreciate other's efforts too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm.. aloo looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete