Monday 31 May 2010

30th May 2010 - Dinner - Aloo Mutter

What?
This was the first time I was making Aloo Mutter. I mean, it's hardly different from aloo rassa/jhol/whatever, but, well, a new dish's a new dish.

How did it look?
A posteriori
  • No onions in the gravy this time. Just tomatoes and some puree (which I use all the time because it is so much more convenient and makes stuff richer). Tomatoes here are pretty costly, so I normally put half a tomato for the texture, and puree for the actual gravy.
  • I added some dry garlic chutney I have gotten from home. It is pretty useful and can be used directly on sandwiches too!
  • As some improvisation, I added some Paav Bhaaji masaala too at the end. Not too much, half a tea-spoon maybe. But it deed help in imparting good fragrance.
  • The quickest and the most convenient way to make it would be using a pressure cooker, but since the cooker I have is too small for making enough for 4 people, that's ruled out. Cooking potatoes with the gravy takes too long. So, I normally put the whole thing in the µWave after the chhonk and then just cook it for like 6 minutes. Nomw the potatoes are about 3/4th cooked. Back to the pan and I can now add water for the gravy and let it boil once. Bingo.

7 comments:

  1. Simple things are most often the most satisfying.
    PS : Mutter? and not maTar? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ anasuya :simple? mujhe to koi bhi sabzi simple nahi lagti,sabme time lagta hai(except papad ki sabzi) :) tu banati hai kya ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, time lagna aur simplicity dono.n alag cheezei.n hai.n

    If it's easier to screw up, it is tough, even though it might take less time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I found it a bit watery. There are n number of ways to thicken a gravy. In your case, you could have smashed 2-3 dices of boiled potatoes and added it to the tomato puree. But considering the fact that you have prepared it for the first time, you are excused :D :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would put it more as jhol/rassa rather than gravy. Sometimes you enjoy that kinda stuff too.

    ReplyDelete